Friday, May 1, 2009

If it ain't broke don't fix it

"A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash

It seems I had to fight my whole life through.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named Sue.



My breeder thinks I can wait at least another year but my vet wanted it done 4 months ago and somewhere between the two, my big guy is about to find himself a boy named Sue.



Yup, you can put that loaded gun away, Johnny Cash
cause you ain't gonna be needing it ever again.


Funny but the decision to have any of my pets spade or neutered has never bothered me before, but just this past week, this testicular fate has become paramount in my thoughts. I believe it's because I've never waited this length of time before having a pet take the asexual plunge so the maturity level has never factored in.

I mean, when a puppy or a kitten is only 6 months everything is still so new and happening so fast, personalities are just starting to develop and sexuality isn't even an issue. So, you think nothing of a snip here or there. As long as your pet is healthy and happy and growing up strong, that's all that matters. Fast forward to 11 months of age and your bouncing chubby Border Collie puppy is now almost fully mature; he's a big strong beautiful dog.

It's a whole different story. At this point, I feel like, for the first time, I am going to take something away from him. Two somethings in fact. It's actually making me sad! His personality is so defined right now that I don't want to mess with that, but the red flags are there. He has dominant tendencies, he roams, he protects, he likes the ladies. While he is not aggressive, I can see him bringing out the worst in other dogs, and then not backing down. That being said, he does also bring out the best in most dogs, because he's friendly and fun and he loves to play.



Next week he goes for his pre surgical examinations. I'm thankful that he is growing beautifully and that his character is what it is. Neutering him will not change the fact that he's my dog and always will be.


At least that's what I keep telling myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment