Sunday, April 26, 2009

Good neighbor? We say scary neighbor.




So Lola and I attended The Canine Good Neighbor workshop today and Lola did not pass the evaluation given at the end of class. I'd almost like to say that she failed for biting the instructor and then pooping on the floor (that's cause I'm all about GOING DOWN IN A BIG WAY) but no, she suddenly developed a weird shyness around the evaluator and wouldn't let the lady brush her.
Normally I would question if maybe she has given signs of shyness in the past that I might have missed, but everyone that knows her is very surprised. She excelled in the obedience sections and failed the social sections.
Was it the training facility that we were in? Was it the evaluator herself? I don't know. I also don't think that it bothers me too much anyway. Lola has a personality and I love her for showing it. I hate it when parents try to force their kids to sit on Santa's lap (he's an old freaky bearded man!) so how can I be upset that she didn't want a stranger brushing her for no good reason?

She also failed the 'being alone with a stranger' test and that one I'm actually all distraught about. Don't get me wrong, I'm not distraught because she didn't want to be alone in a room with someone she doesn't know holding her leash for 3 minutes. I'm actually torn because I don't really want to teach her that this situation is ok. Had she just dealt with it on her own instead of barking twice, I would never have to worry about it. But now, if I want to get her certified, I actually have to condition her that leaving me to be with a stranger is a good thing. I don't know if I want to do that.
"Lola, go sit on Santa's lap and then take candy from a stranger! Bad girl, get away from mommy!"

DANGER DANGER. I've decided that is what she must have meant by barking twice and in my opinion, that is being the best neighbor of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment